Safe & Easy Alternatives to... LETHARGY
We are nearing that time of the year when it is extremely easy to become lethargic. We tend to watch too much television for too long, or to
work too many hours or to glue ourselves to these computer screens. Traditional ways of dealing with lethargy can be extremely harmful to your health – overdosing on vitamins, choking on New Year's
resolutions, taking expensive shopping sprees. We offer you the following safe and healthy alternatives to dealing with lethargy.
There's nothing like walking a couple of miles in snowshoes.
This is not nearly as difficult as it sounds. 90% of the time, snowshoeing is like walking in shoes several sizes too large. The other 10% of the time it is an exercise in patience, agility and ones' ability to laugh at oneself.
For those of you not blessed to be in a snow area, another safe and
healthy way to deal with lethargy is by walking.
You can participate in this activity the same way as your ancient ancestors (strap on some shoes and put one foot in front of the other until you are moving) or you can go completely high tech with specialized walking shoes, night vision goggles and solar flashing panels. Either way, try to walk for 15 minutes three times a week. You can triple the effectiveness of your walking by filling quart milk bottles with water and swinging them as you walk.
3. Washing Dirty Clothes
You would be amazed at the level of exercise possible in
the washing and drying of dirty clothes.
To some extent, this level is dependent upon how many children you have and how many floors in your home. If you are blessed with several children and a washer that is in the basement, you can have quite a workout doing dirty clothes. If you think I am kidding, try schlepping half a dozen laundry baskets down into the basement and back up again.
4. Stair Climbing
Again, here is an activity you can spend well over a thousand
dollars to do or you can do it for free.
If you want, go to the nearest sports equipment store and buy a stair-climber for $1,000. Or, you can cut the price in half and join a JCC or gym that has stair climbers. For those of you who have better things to spend your money on, simply take the stairs instead of elevator or escalator when you leave your apartment, go to a doctor's appointment or shop at a multi-level mall. If you feel to be an advanced stair climber already, pick a tall public building and use its steps. After all, your tax dollars paid for them anyway.