Organic Fruits and Vegetables
Not that long ago, it was not easy to get organic fruits and vegetables. t meant a separate trip to the health food store or coop. No
longer is this the case. Never before has it been so easy to purchase organic food from mainstream supermarkets. Here are some facts as reported in "Conscious Choice", March 2000:
- 73% of mainstream supermarket chains nationwide now carry some organic products
- 56% of those who buy organic products get them from mainstream supermarket chains
- 57% of restaurants nationswide with entrees over $24 offer organic selections
- Heinz, Gerber and General Mills are entering the organic business
- Most farmers convert to organic because it's a way to keep their farms viable
- 87% of organic farms are small family operations and not corporate owned
- Rodale Institute conducted a 15 year study showing that organic farms have the same yield per acre as non-organic farms.
We know that our non-organic food contains trace elements of dozens of pesticides that are harmful to us. Take a few minutes the next time you're at your
local supermarket and check out the organic selection. And, if your supermarket does not have an organic selection, speak to your grocer and let him know the time has come to get one.