Engine Coolant Warning
One of the myths about nature is "If animals eat something in the wild, it must be okay for humans to eat." I have pointed out in previous
editions of this webpage how dangerous this myth can be. Here's something to keep in mind.
Dogs, perhaps other pets as well, love the taste of engine coolants (also known as anti-freeze). Typically engine coolants come in a blue or green color which makes it easy to spot spilled puddles of the stuff. Apparently, to many animals this liquid tastes very sweet and is akin to soda pop. Unlike soda pop, engine coolant is a poison and quite harmful to any creature that drinks it. Not only can your pet get sick from lapping coolant off the ground, your favorite pooch can die. If you walk your dog on suburban or urban streets, pay attention to what your dog is sniffing. If it turns out to be a puddle of engine coolant, pull your dog away immediately.
What should you do if you are not quick enough and your dog has already lapped up a mouthful of this poison?
I contacted (), makers of a popular engine coolant, to find out the answer. To be certain of its accuracy, I also contacted a local poison control center.